In his book, Breakthrough advertising, Eugene Schwartz, one of the greatest students of markets, wrote about the 5 different levels of prospect awareness.
Usually, you may think that you can simply copy a pattern in one copy and use it for another. Research and study of your market teaches you that this is not the case. This is firstly because your audience is different.
The audience for cosmetics is not the same as an audience for health supplements. This often may seem like a minute factor, but it means everything.
From the kind of image that catches your specific audience’s attention, to the headline that strikes a deep cord and makes them read on… Adverts for different products cannot look alike. There are possibilities that you can copy adverts if it is in the same niche, but then this second factor plays a role.
The second factor is Your Prospect Awareness.
My target audience may not be in the same level of prospect awareness as the audience who the advert was written for (which I want to copy). Your prospect’s level of awareness determines if your advert meets your prospect at the right time.
This is crucial because catching your prospect’s attention is also dependent on this. And sadly, if I do not get his attention, he doesn’t read my copy, and I never sell.
The Five Levels Of Prospect Awareness
- Completely Unaware: This segment is the hardest to reach. This is because the ‘problem’ (they have), and the solution (you are bringing) is unknown to them. With research, you can construct your copy to reach them where they are, and convert them. So what do you do? You write in concepts your prospect can relate to. Example, Cryptocurrency is still very strange to many people. If you want to post an ad about it on a generic platform, you want your prospect on that platform to be interested. You don’t want him to see charts and jargon that he can’t wrap his head around. So, you make your headline read something like: How To Be A MultiMillionaire Studying Easy Charts That The Media Calls New And Interesting. These are familiar terms. You didn’t write How To Trade XXX dollars offering Ethereum currency.
- Problem Aware: This segment of people know there is a problem, but do not know of the solution. When my friend, Wale, wanted to do business selling laptop stands, I was to write copy for him. I started research, and one of the first things I had to figure was my prospect’s level of awareness. I found out that people who used laptops and mobile devices knew that they had frequent neck pains, back aches, and headaches, but they didn’t know how to prevent (cure) the pain. They didn’t know what laptop stands could do for them. In such a scenario, my headline had to bear the problem (the pain) and its cause (their laptop usage). They could relate to this. It got their attention.
- Solution Aware: Here, people know about the solution(s). For example, people know their go-to drugs for headaches, fever, cold… you name it. Now, if you are introducing your product/service (a solution) to a prospect who is solution aware already, what do you do? Your copy has to show your product/service is different. It is not one of the many solutions out there. Your headline (your crux for attention) has to bear the Unique mechanism of your solution. One classic headline from Eugene Schwartz read, “How modern Chinese Medicine helps Burn Disease Out Of Your Body… lying flat on your back, using nothing more than the palm of your hand!” Weight loss products and processes wasn’t new. The unique mechanism had to be hinged on.
- Product Aware: This is the stage where people know about what you do or sell. Everyone knows Coca-cola. Everyone knows Apple products. Everyone knows Facebook. If you want to post an ad to reach prospects who already know you, it is the time to hinge on your benefits. It is the time to draw his attention emotionally to what your product does for him. Talk about the transformation, the class it gives him, the happiness he gets, the stress it takes off him, his dreams it helps him achieve. You are simply reminding him again that you are the best option, and he should take action already. If by 2025, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain technology have become known such that the audience is in the Solution Aware and Product Aware stages, then the leaders or major players can talk about the benefits of using their currency, or trading with them.
- Most Aware: This is the segment that knows everything. They are aware of the problem, the solution, the product and its benefits. To reach and convert this audience, you make your offer irresistible. You want to make them realize they can’t get this elsewhere. Give them free consultation sessions, discount prices, freebies and gifts, bonuses upon bonuses! Do everything to make your offer irresistible. That’s how you craft such ad. It is still a time to highlight the emotional benefits of your solution. Examples of these advertisements are everywhere you look. Well-known products and services continue to be advertised.
These are the reasons no two advertisements can be same. The audience of one is not the audience of another, and even if the audience is the same, their level of awareness may not be the same.
Your prospect’s level of awareness is one of the first things your research should tell you before you write a single word.
Did you learn a thing or two? Kindly share in the Comments below.